"An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere."

Questions About Our Other Services


Yes, there are minimum qualifications. You need to be at least 21 years of age, have sufficient income to cover your financial needs, have enough room for a child and be able to pass criminal background checks just to name a few. We have all the information to help you through the process.

Yes, there are a several:

  • Public adoptions - when the child is under guardianship of the State
  • Relative adoptions - when you are adopting within your family
  • Stepparent adoption - when the spouse of a parent is adopting the child
  • Private Domestic adoption - adopting through a licensed private child placing agency
  • International adoption - when you are choosing to adopt a child from a different country

Each has their own set of rules and guidelines and we know them all.

Child Custody and Placement

Yes, in Wisconsin, physical placement of a child means who the child will live with and when.

Custody allows you to make decisions that affect the child, such as where the child goes to school, daycare, etc.

No, the courts do not favor either parent. The court has to look as several factors to make determinations, such as, each parent’s wishes, siblings, time each parent spent with the child, school and educational needs, availability of child care, each party’s mental and physical health, any history of abuse, drug use, or crime- just to name a few.

A child support order is based on physical placement and not on custody. Each case is unique.

No. Failure to pay child support is not a basis for denying another parent their placement time.

If you are unable to come to an agreement, then the court will make a decision. The courts first try mediation. If that is unsuccessful, then the court will appoint a Guardian ad Litem to represent the child’s best interest. The court may also require a custody study or other evaluations to be completed for the court’s review in making a determination.

Grandparent Rights and Visitation

Yes, Grandparents do have rights. We can help assist in making sure you get some visitation with your grandchild.

Restraining Orders / Injunctions

A restraining order is a court order that orders someone not to hurt you, to stay away from you, move out of the house, have no contact with you, or stop harassing you.

A Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) will be issued when the Commissioner schedules the injunction hearing and determines it is appropriate. It stays in effect until the injunction hearing, which is usually within 14 days.

The Commissioner may order the injunction for as long as you request, but not to exceed four years for domestic abuse and two years for harassment or child abuse.

Juvenile Matters

All cases are handled differently based on factors such as:

  • The severity of the offense.
  • The juvenile’s age.
  • The juvenile’s past record.
  • The strength of the evidence in the case.
  • The juvenile’s social history.
  • The ability of the minor’s parents to control his or her behavior.